It is a reality of today’s life in large cities to have to make a home in small spaces. Studio apartments are the norm and often the most affordable.
Indeed it can be a challenge to create a spacious, airy, comfortable living space. But the challenge is made easier with a lot of design options and décor style that can transform a small house to a wonderful living space.
The trick is to use décor to play up its strengths and camouflage its weakness. This way you can make the best of what you have, and make it reflect your unique style and individuality.
Here are some guiding principles to make a small house look good:
1. Keep large furniture pieces to a minimum to avoid cluttering: Furniture plays a critical role in how spacious a room looks. Opt out of heavy, large or too ornate tables & chairs for a small house. These just block space and clutter up.
2. Buy furniture that makes storage efficient : To make best use of available space dual purpose furniture like a sofa-bed or bunk-bed cum worktable. There is today a large variety of such furniture available so that there is flexibility in choosing the best for your available space. Another tip is to use containers to store loose items, be it in your bedroom or kitchen
3. Don’t block light & airflow: A critical factor to keep the house airy and well-lit is to avoid using furnishings that block light. Use sheer materials on the windows to ensure all light flows in. Also enhance airflow by not blocking the path with unnecessary or wrong placement of furniture
4. Use decor tricks like light colours and mirrors: There are a number of ways to create an illusion of space and light. Use a neutral palette across the house – colours like white, beige or cream. Well place mirrors reflect light and make rooms look brighter and bigger.
5. Create effective demarcation of spaces the right furniture shapes: Separate out the different living areas – bedroom, living, kitchen with shaped or cleverly placed furniture. For example, a curved sofa can be used to create an oasis of space for relaxing with a book or TV and give some privacy from rest of the house.
This house in Stockholm designed by Daniel Nystrom available on PerJansson exemplifies these principles. Notice how the house is bathed in white with the dark flooring and furniture acting as relief. The minimalistic style of furniture keeps the rooms looking light and open
Studio Apartment Stylish Living room Kitchen
Studio Apartment Interiors And Home Design
Studio Apartment Kitchen Dining Section
Studio Apartment Dining room
Living Room Design Coffee Table
Studio Apartment Interiors – Bedroom Design
Studio Apartment Designs And Home Design